Industry Profile – General Manager, Tamara James-Reid
Our Industry Profile series takes a look at personalities and roles within the sport and leisure industry.
Today, we talk to Tamara James-Reid, the General Manager at the Bayfit facility, a long time member of Altona’s (Melbourne, Australia) community.
Links: How long have you been in the industry?
Tamara: 11 years.
Links: What does your role as General Manager entail?
Tamara: Every day is different at Bayfit – you never know what the day will bring, and it is one the aspects of my role that I really enjoy. I have a fantastic team around me and we try hard to see the funny side of the frustrations and enjoy seeing how we can make a positive impact in the lives of our members and each other.
- All operational responsibilities for the management of Bayfit
- Financial Management
- Tenancy Management
- Health and Safety
- Council Liaison
- Training and Development
Links: How long has Bayfit been operating and how has it grown?
Tamara: Bayfit occupies the site of the old Altona Leisure Centre and has been a recreational space for the local community for over 15 years. Originally there was one 25 metre pool and a small program space. We now have an 8 lane lap pool, learn to swim /toddler pool, hydrotherapy pool and spa and steam room. We have a full service gym with state of the art equipment and highly qualified staff on site at all times to support our members and guests.
Links: What’s your long term goal in the industry?
Tamara: To grow my in depth knowledge of a relatively new and fast growing industry. As our population ages and progressively becomes unhealthier, it is vital that we engage with and educate our community of the benefits of healthy living. In an ever changing and increasingly competitive market, there is more opportunity than ever to help people get fitter and healthier.
Links: Was entering into the sport and leisure industry your career choice? If not what did you start out doing and how did you get into it?
Tamara: I started in the industry as a Membership Consultant for the world’s largest fitness chain in 2004 after leaving the Australian Army. I have always enjoyed the atmosphere and pace of this industry and was looking for a fresh environment in which to challenge myself.
Links: What other roles/positions have you completed in your career so far?
- Officer – Australian Army RA Sigs
- Membership Consultant
- Customer Care Manager
- Sales Manager
- Club Manager
- Area Manager
- Regional Business Manager
- Member Experience Manager
- National Training Manager
- National Customer Care Manager
Links: Tell us about the facilities you have here at Bayfit and what role it plays in the community?
- We have a full service gym with 4 PT’s and a full team of floor instructors.
- Group Fitness program with 50+ classes per week
- Small Group Training
- One of Australia’s best swim schools (Carlile Swimming) operates out of Bayfit.
- Crèche operates Mon-Fri between 9-12 taking babies from 6 months old.
- Partnerships with reputable allied health service providers
- Outdoor training area
- On site café
- Reciprocal access to BFit at Altona Gate (on some memberships)
- Teen Gym program
- Our ‘Living Longer, Living Stronger’ program was recently highlighted by the Council of Older Adults to one of the best in Victoria. We take pride in catering to our community and providing tailored and appropriate health and fitness opportunities regardless of age, ability or background.
Links: On behalf of Links and all our readership thanks to Tamara for your time today and sharing your story, with an insight into the role of a General Manager of a modern Fitness Facility.